Saturday, October 27, 2012

post card: new york



"I’ve spent more nights sleeping in a hotel room than most people ever need to over the course of an entire lifetime, and I’m not even 30 years old yet. I know which hotel chains have soap that I like, and which places will make you smell like a little old lady when you wash your hands. I’m alone in a big bed with my glasses on, listening to Tom Waits, trying to come down after the show. There’s only one more date left in the US and I’m thinking about how this tour has played out. One night like tonight can make up for fifteen miserable ones…the fans were locked in with the band, and it was powerful. All the nonsense I have to deal with to get onto that stage (unsavory promoters, poorly managed venues, twelve hour drives in the van, missing my family, etc etc etc) feels absolutely worth it when the fans show up like they did tonight. The energy in that room was palpable and it drew a strong performance out of everybody in the band. The reason why I tour is so that there can be more nights like tonight. Thank you New York; you’re like no other." 

No comments:

Post a Comment